I leave for Dubai in 24hrs and I have not packed a thing. I've just piled things up on the dining room table with the unrealistic expectation that it would organize itself. I've known about this trip since Aug and have been meaning to get a head start on packing. Remember, I am a habitual list-maker. Unfortunately, I am also a habitual procrastinator. Even though I have not been packing. I have crossed three very important things off of my todo list.
1) Enrolled in The Smart Traveler Enrollement Program. I encourage anyone leaving the US to do this. Here are the benefits lifted right from the website.
- Receive important information from the Embassy about safety conditions in your destination country, helping you make informed decisions about your travel plans.
- Help the U.S. Embassy contact you in an emergency, whether natural disaster, civil unrest, or family emergency.
- Help family and friends get in touch with you in an emergency.
2) Called my cell phone carrier only to find out that their Passport Plan does not cover the Middle East. Guess you all will have to Google Voice me.
3) Added Travel Notifications to my debit and credit cards. I went to order a few things on LivingSocial Dubai and my card was DECLINED. I really don't need that to happen in Dubai.
I also having been doing a little shopping. It's time I step my luggage game up a bit, starting with a new backpack.
I still love my old backpack. I've had it for 16 yrs, but just wanted something a little sleeker. How did I do?
Next up is this little thing. My cell phone has a really good camera, so I've decided to use that instead of taking a Point & Shoot. The Nokia Camera Grip comes with a built in charger, making this a great deal. Amazon is selling it for $75-93.00 + tax. I got this directly from Microsoft for $35!
Now I have 23 hrs left. Actually, I leave for Dubai on Monday, but I stop in New York to meet the rest of group so we can travel together. Dubai was one of those places that was on the secret Wanderlist. I thought I'd never have the opportunity to actually travel to any part of the Middle East. I've read about it. I've seen it on WealthTV. I've even kept a magazine from 2008, but I did I think I'd acutally make it. Those vibrations are something serious.
Okay, I've procrastinated enough.
Good Night and Thanks for reading!